This is the Hidden, Non-Medical Approach for Overcoming Anxiety
This might upset some people. I don’t care.
All my cousins are taking pills. Your brother is on anti-depressants. Your daughter is on lorazepam.
We all know someone who is taking some kind of drug for their mental health. I understand how this came to be, at least to some degree.
The reasons many are depressed/anxious
- Everywhere you look, there’s bad news. World War III with Russia and China could start at any moment. Covid is running rampant. The Struggling economy. Global warming. Negativity is at an all-time high in the world.
- Fear. All of the above causes fear. People don’t know what to expect or how to pay rent this month. Even turning on the news is scary. I don't know how anyone turns it on first thing in the morning. What a way to start the day.
- Hatred. Politically, we are more dived than ever. The right and the left are at each other’s necks at all times. Each side blames the other for every wrong in the world. All of this fighting is leading to no progress being made.
How does it affect you?
I know there are more reasons, but these seem to be the most common. With all the negativity in the world, it’s easy to slide down into the abyss. Negative energy is more contagious than positive energy. That’s why there are more sad sallies than happy go-getters.
When you live in constant fear, it’s hard to get anything done. It’s hard to even wake up in the morning. You start adopting the mentality of “Why does this matter?” This is also known as the victimhood mentality. It’s a plague and needs to be avoided at all costs.
This is where things can take a dark turn. People who think like this long enough are the ones that never go anywhere in life. If it’s bad enough, it can lead to suicidal thoughts.
What to do to feel less anxious and depressed
One option is to take medicine. I know that in some situations this may be the right answer. It can help for a little bit but I don’t believe in its long-term use.
Another option is to do nothing. This also doesn’t work for the reason mentioned above. Living in a constant state of negativity will lead to bad things happening.
Then there is the third option. This option is more difficult than option number one. It might take longer than option number one. This is the option I tell my own family to take.
This option is about a change of being. It’s a change in the way you think about the world and yourself.
It is not thinking naive. It is not sticking your head in the sand and praying everything will be alright.
It is an actionable step. Changing your being and becoming a different person mentally is not easy. After all, some of us have spent years believing one thing about ourselves and the world around us.
If you can accomplish it, your life will change forever. You'll learn to take the negative and turn it into positive. You’ll stop living in fear and learn to appreciate the little things.
Steps you can take right now to kill anxiety and depression
- Believe good things will happen. Do this long enough, and the universe will give you what you believe. Have to go to work on your day off? Think of the extra money and experience you’re getting. This is the most important step in the process.
- Let go of the little things and what you can’t control. You can’t control 90% of things in your life. You can, however, decide how you see the world and your actions.
- Read The Obstacle Is The Way By Ryan Holiday. There is a quote that says “Our actions may be impeded . . . but there can be no impeding our intentions or dispositions.” In other words, this book is the full version of the above step.
- Stop watching the news. It’s not really news anymore anyway. It’s all about pushing an agenda. Use other sources.
- Make a list of things you are grateful for. If you are reading this right now you have an internet connection somehow. That means you are a very fortunate person who has a lot more than most people in life. Things aren’t so bad!
Why some people will be mad and disagree
I know some people may be mad and call me insensitive. They’ll argue that depression and anxiety are caused by chemical changes in the brain. This may be true for some people.
I think that medicine in these situations is grossly overly prescribed. A good chunk of these patients could see a big difference if they just followed the steps above.
I’m not a doctor and this is not medical advice of any kind. Always talk to your doctor if you have suicidal thoughts or tendencies.
I do believe that the above steps can help a lot of people deal with the struggles of everyday life. Even using one of them consistently will help you.
Try it for one month and let me know how it works.